The Firehouse’s reputation for excellence in food, wine, and hospitality is enhanced by its ambiance. Each dining space is ordained with historical and unique décor and furniture.
The bust in the flowerbed upon entering the courtyard is from an old theater on Market Street in San Francisco; the statue is of Cervantes. The lampposts are old gas lampposts from the City of Oakland. The two lights on the wall are from the Armory in Marysville. The cast iron posts on either side of the door are from the old city library in Stockton. The wrought iron pediment came from a rooming house at 6th and K Streets. The two doors are from Butterfield’s auction house. The wrought iron arch above the door came from the old dairy building at 31st and Q Streets. The fountain is a reproduction made in Palo Alto. The lampposts are from the courthouse steps in Santa Clara. The lamps sitting on top of them are from a street in Sacramento. The cast iron gates are reproductions made in Alabama. The statue in the flowerbed (girl holding a torch) is from an antique shop. The wrought iron balconies were made in 2001 by a sculptor who previously lived in New Orleans. The fountain in the corner of the courtyard was acquired in 2001 from a small shop in Old Town Fair Oaks.
The two gilded mirrors are from Boytanos on J Street between 7th and 8th Streets. The street lampposts holding up the fireplace’s granite mantle were purchased from a movie studio in Los Angeles in 1959. The lampposts’ bases were cut off to make supports for the mantel. The granite mantel is from the old granite bank building at 4th and J Streets.
The stained glass dome was found above a false ceiling in the old Lincoln Hotel in Stockton. J.P. Smith (a Sacramento wrecker) found it after he purchased nine blocks of downtown Stockton during the renovation. He gave it to Newton Cope, Sr. for The Firehouse. The Chinese family that owned the hotel wanted it back after it was discovered, but Smith said no, he had given it away, and told them it was his to do with as he pleased because he had purchased everything in those nine blocks. It was said to be a Tiffany and valued at $15,000 in 1960. In 2000, an appraiser could not verify the authenticity of the stained-glass dome being a Tiffany; however, it was valued at $65,000. The cast iron pillars on either side of the doors were from the Van Voory’s and Finney building (they made horse collars).
Courtyard Grill Bar
The door hinges are double-action hinges that Newton Cope, Sr. bought for $5 from a wrecker. The hinges held the huge doors of the old courthouse in Stockton. The wrought iron pediment over the door came from a rooming house behind the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco when they tore it down to build their towers. The cast iron columns around the doors came from an old flour milling company in Stockton dated in 1853, the same as the original firehouse. The columns behind the bar came from an old house on H Street. The green and brass gas fixtures came from a gambling hall in Stockton.
Golden Eagle Room
In 1960, the golden eagle was made for The Firehouse by a company in Chicago, Jo Mead sculptor. The stained glass windowpanes came from an old home in Merced or Modesto. The pillars in the doorway came from the old Wheeler estate in Isleton. The pediments above the door came from the old Hall of Justice in San Francisco when it was torn down in 1965. The cast iron fireplace is from the old Sheriff’s office at 5th and G Streets. The light fixtures are from the old J.C. Penney store at 10th and L Streets when it was torn down in 1960. The cast iron rail is from the Sutter Hotel in San Francisco. The newel post is from an old hotel in Stockton. The large mirrors are from the Wheeler estate in Isleton. The brackets at the ends of the bar are from the old Post Office at 7th and K Streets.
Main Dining Room & Bar
The fireplace came from the old Lathrope home at 7th and S Streets that E.B. Crocker set it up as an old ladies’ home. When it was demolished, Jim Ransdale (a Sacramento wrecker) gave it to The Firehouse. The painting of Phoebe Apperson Hearst, painted by Orrin Peck in 1888, was acquired from Butterfield’s auction house in San Francisco. Butterfield’s acquired it from the Hearst family estate after Hearst died. The five gold-leaf mirrors came from an old estate in Marysville. The 1895 gold-leaf mirror that is located in the entrance to the dining room was acquired from a Sam’s Town auction. The wooden mirror came from the old Ruhstaller estate. It was given to the Elks Club, and when they remodeled, they sold it to The Firehouse. The matching mirror is downstairs in the Courtyard Room. The painting on the wall between the bar and dining area is called A Quiet River; it was painted by Charles Dorman Robinson and was acquired from a Crocker Art Gallery auction.
Main Dining Room Bar
The pillars behind the bar were old lampposts purchased from a movie studio in Los Angeles in 1959. The lamppost bases were cut off to make supports for the back of the bar. The two large pictures (Columbia and Little Egypt) were painted by A.D.M. Cooper in 1887 and 1889. The paintings came from the old Dream Land dance hall. The fire helmets and other fire memorabilia came from collections in Grass Valley and Nevada City and were acquired through an antique store. The fire pole and cover are the originals from the firehouse built in 1853. The three bronze figures on the bar: In Danger, Saved and Bravery are by X. Rapharel. The spiral staircase is from the tower of the old Preston Reform School in Ione.
The original firehouse had a railing above the door that was taken off by the owners prior to Newton Cope, Sr. Mr. Finegold had a railing matching the original made for The Firehouse in 1960 from the railing around the Ebner building that was built around the same time as the original firehouse. The bumper is from an old foundry on Front Street.
The Norwegian table and chairs from the 1920s were purchased from the Antique Plaza, located in Rancho Cordova, CA.
Wine Cellar I
The safe doors are from the Bank of America at 8th and J Streets. They were originally at the pink bank building at 4th and J Streets. The makers of the safe are Raymond and Wilshire. V.B. Crocker did the painting of the State Capitol. The stained glass window came from the Ruhstaller estate.